Its been awhile…but I’ve been waiting for a very special occasion to share a new recipe with y’all! I’m a blogger for Food and Nutrition Magazine’s blog, Stone Soup and had one of my all time favorite eats posted today! Be sure to check out my post on the Stone Soup Blog and read below!
Looking for a recipe for Mother’s Day brunch? You need a crowd-pleaser — but instead of overloading the table with more egg dishes, appetizers and salads, how about baked goods?
My mom has been making variations of her banana bread for years. Sometimes she will add walnuts or pecans — or, if she’s feeling indulgent, chocolate chips (my personal favorite). Regardless of the additions, it is hands-down the best banana bread I have ever eaten!
In honor of Mother’s Day, I decided to pay homage and put a dietitian’s take on the best banana bread ever.
The “3 R’s”: of Baking: “Reduce, Replace or Remove”
I substituted in whole-wheat flour and cut back on the sugar and fat. Applesauce keeps the bread moist and bananas provide enough sweetness that no one will be able to tell I reduced the amount of sugar.
If you feel like getting fancy for your next brunch, you can also turn this delicious banana bread into an even more delicious banana bread French toast! This recipe also makes great muffins — but be sure to reduce the cooking time to 35 minutes.
Mother’s Day Banana Bread
- 2 mashed, ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup buttermilk (I make this from scratch: add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk)
- ¼ cup oil (I prefer coconut or canola oil)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 eggs whites
- 1¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Scant ¾ cup sugar (a little less than ¾ cup)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- Optional: ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray pan loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine banana, buttermilk, eggs, applesauce and oil in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir in nuts or other additions (like blueberries or chocolate chips).
- Pour into loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.