This lemon basil cod was a quick, last minute Monday dinner prep. After a weekend of celebrating Germany’s World Cup win (awesome game and overtime goal!), my boyfriend and I wanted to prepare a meal that was quick, healthy, and would cook while doing the P90x ab ripper! And voila- lemon basil cod was born.
Cod is a light, quick cooking fish, that when cooked is moist and flaky. Add a mustardy lemon sauce with fresh basil and it’s like summer is dancing on your taste buds! We served this with cast iron skillet sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts and oven roasted lemon cauliflower (though my food service teacher from undergrad would be disappointed in my use of a white fish with white cauliflower-oh well!). We wanted to eat light and clean, so we limited the starches with this meal to the sweet potatoes and the crushed pita chip fish topping!
Let us know what you think in the comments! Did you try the lemon basil cod? What are you favorite ways to prepare cod or fish? Any thoughts on the P90x ab ripper (it was my first time doing the any of the P90x series!)?
- 2 cod filets (around 6 oz each)
- Juice from one lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 heaping TBS german mustard
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 pita chips, crumbled
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2) Combine lemon juice, garlic, mustard, olive oil, salt, pepper, and basil.
3) Pour marinade over cod.
4) Top with crumbled pita chips.
5) Bake for 5-10 minutes. Fish should become opaque and flake easily.
6) Eat and enjoy!