Kale, the superfood de jour, is a way that you can add major nutrition brownie points to any dish. Rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and beta carotene, this superfood is low in calories, good source of fiber, and a great substitution for lettuce. One complaint is that the leaves tend to be bitter and tough. Tenderize by massaging the leaves and you have a dark, leafy green that can be added to just about any dish.
This salad was created in honor of National Nutrition Month. It incorporates unsaturated fats, dark leafy greens, and a variety of colorful vegetables. Avocado is the main base for this dish- it provides that creaminess that we desire from most salad dressing without the saturated fat associated with that Hidden Valley ranch dressing.
- 1 bunch kale, de-ribbed and shredded
- 1 ½ cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups fresh herb salad
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 avocados
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Garlic and herb salt free seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
1) Take 1 whole avocado (peeled and sliced) and sprinkle with garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mash the avocado onto the shredded kale with your hands, evenly coating the kale with avocado. Let sit for 30 minutes to help soften the kale.
2) To make dressing- combine the olive oil, remaining lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and 1 TBS garlic and herb salt-free seasoning. Whisk together to combine.
3) Chop 1 whole avocado. Add remaining ingredients to kale and combine.
4) Drizzle dressing and top with chopped avocado.
5) Eat and Enjoy!